Registrations for Junior IAU members:
The IAU in an unprecedented decision during the XXX General Assembly in Vienna (last August) has decided to admit Junior Professional Astronomy Researchers as Junior Members of the IAU
The approval at the IAU XXX General Assembly, in Vienna (August 2018) of the proposed amendments to the IAU Statutes, Bye-Laws and Working Rules has introduced a new category of IAU membership, the Junior Member.
A junior scientist who has completed her or his PhD studies between 2013 and 2018 in some branch of astronomy, who is in the initial phase of the career of a professional researcher and has the prospect of becoming a professional researcher in astronomy may be admitted to the Union by the Executive Committee as Junior Member, for a period not exceeding 6 years.
The IAU is the international astronomical organisation that brings together more than 13,500 professional astronomers from more than 100 countries worldwide. Its mission is to promote and safeguard the science of astronomy in all its aspects through international cooperation. The IAU also serves as the internationally recognised authority for assigning designations to celestial bodies and the surface features on them. Founded in 1919, the IAU is the world's largest professional body for astronomers.
Junior Member Requirements:
A junior scientist who:
The Executive Committee of the IAU may admit a Junior Member, for a period not exceeding 6 years.
Applying to become a Cyprus Junior Member of the IAU - a three step process:
1 - Pre-Approval - DEADLINE: 28 Dec 2018
- Fill in the pre-approval application form by the 28th of December 2018. CSEO will review your application.
- By the 28th of December you will receive a confirmation by CSEO whether your pre-approval application has been accepted.
- If it has been accepted you will receive a link to the IAU website for Cyprus Junior Member Applications for your final application.
Junior Member pre-approval application form
2 - Final Application - DEADLINE: 31 Dec 2018
- You must fully complete the form (the IAU website link that was sent to you) by the 31st of December 2018 at the latest.
- Applications to the IAU close on the 31st of December 2018.
3 - Approval - May 2019
- CSEO and IAU will review your final application and the decision will be announced by the IAU on May 2019 during the IAU Executive Committee Meeting in May 2019. CSEO will announce the results in Cyprus after this meeting.